Saturday, September 25, 2010

MAC Wk 4 Blog 2: Comments

Jeff Kohls published a piece in his blog this week that addressed his time here at Full Sail and the relationships we've all built with our classmates. Much appreciate Jeff. Check out his post here, and my comments below:

Jeff,

It is very hard not to comment on such a post when you call out half of your classmates by name. Thank you, and let me respond.

Almost daily, someone asks me about my Masters program here at Full Sail. How's it going? Are you done yet? When will you have any free time again? All of these are constant questions that I field throughout the day. Matter of fact, one colleague is thinking about enrolling in EMDT next fall.

(If I encourage him, do I get a finder's fee?)

And as such, whenever I describe the program, I'm led into the deeper conversation of why I chose to pursue a degree to begin within. While it is difficult to pinpoint the specific inspiration of a moment that was easily 20 months ago, I invariably respond to such inquiries that I was looking to add more concrete knowledge and pedagogy to my own classroom practice.

Furthermore, as I researched a slew of programs, Full Sail's EMDT degree really stood out as it seemed to address educational psychology and curricula design with a technological emphasis. In all honesty, this seemed like an amazing combination that would perfectly fulfill the gaps in my own personal knowledge base around education that I was hoping to develop.

Now, nearing completion of the course, I've learned quite a few things:

1. Online education can be amazingly affective
2. Programs like this are very time consuming
3. "Working around your own schedule" (as so many institutional literature pieces purport is possible) is a misnomer
4. There is an unprecedented amount of resources available in today's modern communication tools to make real and lasting impacts in both analog and digital classrooms

Additionally, my Action Research project has been dealing specifically with technology based learning mechanisms in order to boost student engagement. And as I've worked through the literature, I've discovered that the most crucial element for success of any digitally supported educational initiative is careful and deliberate implementation of those resources. In order to create a portal or interface that really supports the needs of learners, an institution should:

1. Encourage group work
2. Allow participants to share historical and biographical information
3. Foster regular large and small group discussion opportunities
4. Distribute media through a variety of formats
5. Focus on project and media based assignments to complement the program's nature rather than rely on writing assignments alone

In short, the literature suggests that administrations and educators looking to develop a quality digital or distance program would mirror much of what we've experienced here at Full Sail.

It can work. This program has been so personally rewarding (and yes, challenging) that I feel absolutely blessed to have been able to participate and learn in such an environment. And to your post Jeff, without question, this learning and personal growth is directly related to the support, encouragement, and integrity of my classmates.

Collaborative learning doesn't work very well without collaborators. This cohort is truly a talented and passionate bunch who will only continue to make lasting and powerful changes in the lives of their students and coworkers.

Thank you all.

1 comment: