Monday, September 20, 2010

MAC Wk 4 Blog 1: Reading

MAC Wk 4 Blog 1: Reading


I now ride the bus. Every day, I walk 7 blocks to the Downtown Minneapolis 5th Street Station. From there, I catch the 94Express and ride into downtown St. Paul. If I'm a little early (a rare feat), I'm able to grab a seat by the window and sit relatively distraction free from the chaos that can be indicative of public transportation in a major metropolitan area.

I wasn't excited about being a commuter. For the last few years, I've tried to maintain a strict rule of living within a short bike ride or walk from the workplace. Still, when I received an invitation to teach Media Economics at the McNally Smith College of Music, I couldn't refuse the offer.

And so I commute. Initially, I was pretty against the idea. It was going to be inconvenient and take too long. On good days, the trip usually takes about 30 minutes. Yet, come January, I can only assume that a brief snow flurry will easily extend the trip to over an hour making the ordeal even more excruciating.

Yet what I've learned to do is to take this unique opportunity and reframe the experience into an opportunity. This new daily ritual is a break. A breath. And even a chance to read, prep for class, and watch the world go by. As it stands, only two weeks into the school year, I'm enjoying the bus.

In some ways, this process is akin to what the Zanders describe as "being the board"- readjusting your perspective regarding the systems of cause and effect that create specific situations. In this simple case, I've found that over time, this strategy (and the others already prescribed in the Art of Possibility) is real. We can pause, reflect on a situation, and draw from it a more positive conclusion or perspective than we had first held.

In one brief paragraph of analysis, the Zanders spoke of the strong reactionary powers that we have adopted as human beings. It is true, biologically and physiologically we have developed an extremely perceptive ability to sense potential danger. Clearly, this adaptation was instrumental in escaping predators and protecting early communities from danger. However, today, these same powers are likely a contributor to the negative feelings we can harbor towards new situations and events.

Without question, it is imperative that we avoid letting these receptive powers lead us towards a "downward spiral" of behavior or attitude. And, if we take a broader view towards the seemingly seismic changes happening in our schools, workplace, country, and world, our students especially need to be reminded of this concern.

Honestly, I think an excellent title for a teacher today could be that of one who "creates frameworks for possibility". I can see no greater nobility to extend to our young learners. The world is complicated. It is scary. And, being left to one's own devices without a roadmap, support, or self confidence building feedback, I'm sure today's students could develop severely negative opinions of the future and their place in it.

I'm really enjoying reading the Art of Possibility. It is refreshing, and I'm able to bring ideas and quotes straight from my reading into the classroom minutes later… after getting off the bus.

10 comments:

  1. Scott,

    I am a country girl through and through, the though of public transportation gives me a panic attack. I think it is amazing that you have taken your journey each morning and turned it into a positive and even reflective time for yourself.

    I agree that the reactionary powers we have adapted contribute to how we react to situations and events in our lives. This book has been a powerful teaching tool and I agree it's lessons would greatly benefit our students outlook on the complicated world that surrounds them. They have so much more to experience and to offer them the ability to come upon it with an open mind and positive attitude is one of the greatest gifts we could offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott,

    I have loved reading this entry. It is impressive to adopt a different perspective regarding a commute that otherwise could infiltrate your being with chaos and sense of powerlessness. I love that it has become your time.

    I used to live in Los Angeles for 13 years and my friends were always astounded how I could make the technically 22 minute and actually 1 1/2 hour commute to Santa Monica without turning on the radio. I still do this. It's my time to think and plan and take a break; however, my commute in the mountains of Colorado is 5 minutes, so it's a quick thought.

    Love the definition of teachers as "creators of frameworks for possibility." I think that is such an essential role of educators.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott,

    Wow. I'm originally a "yankee" from New Jersey and miss the excitement of the subway (North Carolina doesn't have a clue). Very nice article. I love your statement of "reframing your experience". I think that's how we have to take each situation that don't quite go our way. Getting upset or asking ten thousand questions of "why" only makes us angry and escalates our blood pressure. Thanks for reminding me how to reframe my experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm kind of doing my own version of "being the board". I was in a salaried youth ministry/Christian education director role. But that was running me about 50-60 hours a week, and with our classes, I decided to leave town. My wife, fortunately was getting her masters at the same time. I've been working as a bank teller for supplemental income. Putting a free spirited teaching/administrative type like myself in a structured environment "bank" and yet, at the bottom of the food chain. I am definitely the board. However, when I think of the grander purpose it serves...to know what serving others is really like every day. Learning how to lead includes really knowing how to follow, and now I've had that education as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scott:
    I have never lived close enough to my work to walk or ride a bike, it just doesn't seem to be in the cards for me.
    however I have had the opportunity to commute to work on the bus and like you I enjoyed the freedom to read, write, knit or just relax and take in the city. For the last three years I have had to drive to work because it is the only way to get there. Depending on where there is, it can be an enjoyable drive through the countryside and giving time to think or it can be an irritating drive across town with constant attention needed to avoid an accident. Then there is the job where I take the super highway and can listen to a book or music. This book and placing it on my life board has helped to take each day in stride and not get to upset. The commute to work is much better these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scott,
    What a wonderful opportunity to sit back and watch the world go by. Kind of like you're in the fishbowl looking out at the people, as they rush about in their lives, and many of them in downward spirals for whatever reason. I don't have the patience for commuting, not to mention that there is no opportunity for such thing where I live. I immerse myself in music on my 6 minute drive to work, trying to lose myself in the melody, but that soon comes to an end.

    Get yourself an iPad, load some John Coltrane and Miles Davis, take a hint from Margo and load some iBooks, and enjoy.

    Once again, my comrade, nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scott, I love that you have embraced the opportunity your commute has given you. Instead of fidgeting and complaining about the necessity of the commute, you have transformed your ride into a time for introspection and a spot of reading. I almost envy you the bus ride. How wonderful to be able to enter the classroom energized and enthusiastic, ready to share something you have just read. Once we begin to see the possibilities for ourselves as contributors, our whole focus turns toward looking for possibilities for our students.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Scott,

    I am so glad to hear that you have “seized the inopportune moment” and looked at all of the possibilities in your morning commute, instead of focusing on how it could be an inconvenience. It is true that our reactions to change paint a reality that is not always optimum, but we always have a choice in the way we deal with it. This is a great example of perfecting this exercise. Congratulations on your new teaching opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to commute and hour two and from work and for a while I even used light rail and busses to do it. There is something refreshing about commuting home on public transportation. When you get home you have already unwound and changed from work self to home self. I think it takes time to let the board switch from one game to the other and driving rarely lets you do that. Probably because no matter how good you get at driving you know that you are in a dangerous position.

    Smart choice by the way, since you could not choose the game you had to play of commuting, you were able to change the board it was played on and commute on the bus

    ReplyDelete
  10. One good thing about the internet today is that it is now being used as an avenue for people to express themselves freely. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

    www.christianeducation.com/

    ReplyDelete