Sunday, February 7, 2010

BP3_2010021_GoogleReader

How do we manage everything?

Traditionally, I have a very hard time organizing the milieu of information that I not only receive, but also seek out each and every day in my professional career. Sometimes, it can take half a morning to catch up on the news that is affecting our rapidly changing world. However, that was before I set up a Google Reader account last week.

Already, I’m sold. Just like our introductory video suggested, using Google Reader really is a better way to sort through our favorite web sites. The news actually comes to us throughout the day, not just to our front door step in the morning.

Currently, I’m following a variety of sites which focus on technology, music, economics, and education including:

Wired Magazine’s Epicenter Blog- Focusing on technology and society, Wired has been an invaluable news source and commentator on a broad array of issues relating to how technological innovations are affecting our communities, schools, businesses, and lives. Many feature articles and topics first covered in Wired have gone on to become leading principals in business and best selling books.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/

Hypebot- Hypebot is a blog focusing on topics relating to current events within the music business. As a media professional, I count on Hypebot’s analysis and news coverage to help refine my company’s business practices.

http://hypebot.com/

The Chronicle of Higher Education- I’ve been a reader of the Chronicle for years, and now their articles and insights are part of my daily media intake. The Chronicle has great content based on not only education related issues, but the lives of teachers and the art of teaching.

http://chronicle.com/blog/wiredcampus/5/

Seth Godin’s Blog- Seth Godin is an author, commentator, and blogger who is known for his ability to synthesize of complex ideas into understandable terms. Compilations of his daily posts and larger studies of current business trends have become best selling books and led to a lucrative consulting career.

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/

Digital Music News- Digital Music News has been a top site covering current events within the music and entertainment industry. While their team usually deep analysis of the issues, DMN aggregates top stories from around the world and offer links to and from the sources of today’s critical news. http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/blog

Thanks to everyone else in Full Sail's ETC course for sharing their- clearly I'll be subscribing to a few more sites in the coming days!

1 comment:

  1. There are some great feeds here, Scott. I particularly like Hypebot site for current events in the music industry. I agree that there are so many choices sometimes, that it seems impossible to keep in-the-know about any particular industry. Too Much Read (TMR)!!!! I need some simple, easy to keep up with sites that other folks in the industry are keyed into. Thanks for the link.

    I have never heard of Seth Godin before, but one tool around his site and I am hooked. Very off-kilter, prudently eccentric, edgy and hitting-it-home kind of thinking. I can see why you like him and his commentary. Nice read…thanks for the link.

    The Digital Music News is another site I will be adding to my reader. I like the RSS feed sites that are already aggregaters of the bigger industry stories. Nice tip…thanks.

    ReplyDelete